Monday, November 3, 2014

No, no NaNo

To NaNo or not to NaNo, that was the question. Every time November rolls around, in fact, that’s the question. Writers everywhere dust off their favorite pens, break out their typewriters, and check the charge on their laptops. For some it’s a yearly tradition. Crank out a book in four weeks? Um yes! For others it takes a little more thought. 

I asked myself “the” question from mid-October to last week. NaNo or no NaNo? Nix it or stick with it? It’s fun, gives you a goal to hit, and if/when you finish, you know you’ve accomplished something. In the end I decided that starting a brand new manuscript would not be the best idea right now.

You see, I have a problem. Always have, actually. I write about 3/4 or 7/8 of a book, and then I just sort of…stop. Something about writing those final scenes freezes the nerve impulses between my brain and my fingers. It’s not that I can’t think of endings. I totally can. But none of them seem good enough to be written down. Besides that, a finished book means you have a book that, if you are driven, then needs to be pitched. It’s scary in a hopeful way.

All that just goes to say that I have two manuscripts waiting for endings and editing, and I think that if I jump into another project for NaNoWriMo, all three will just end up in the trunk. So instead of powering out another beginning to another book, I’m going to power out the ending and edits for the book I already have in my back pocket.

In the end, November is more a celebration of written creativity than anything. It’s a chance to be virtually connected to an online support group of thousands of people who love writing and creating just as much as you do. So who cares if I write the end of a book instead of the beginning?


How about you? Are you doing NaNoWriMo this year, or will your creative juices go somewhere else?




It is raining today. Therefore, Michelle should not have to go to work. She should be home writing, surrounded by a cocoon of blankets and pillows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment