Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NaNo What?

Michelle isn't doing NaNo this year. As I said last week, this is my first year of participation. So what have I learned in the first half-week of this challenge?

First, I've remembered how fun it is to plow through a story that has real potential. It's been fun to create action scenes, chapters, and characters who pop in my brain. Obviously, it'll take at least one revision for them to pop on the page, but even in this first draft, they have a life that surpasses many of my previous manuscripts.

Second, I know, now, that I can hammer out two thousand words a day when I knuckle down and block out distractions. I've written more in the last few days than I typically get done in an average week. And that has me energized! I'm already a few hundred words away from the 12k, mark. In less than a week!

Third, my personal issues with NaNo may have been relevant to me when I voiced them, but I'm realizing more and more that my perceptions, whether or not they're flawed, shouldn't influence my decisions to write. By pushing those dumb ideas out of my brain, I've been able to accomplish something that I thought wouldn't happen until I managed to get myself writing full-time.

What have you learned about NaNo? About yourself? About your writing or reading preferences?

Giles is getting a ton of writing done. He posts about it on Twitter, and if you want to check out his profile on NaNoWriMo.org, feel free.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats, Giles, that's awesome! I haven't had a chance to participate in actual NaNo yet, but I have managed to get in that many words in a month (just over the summer when school's not in session). It's an amazing feeling and can be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the club! I'm just excited to be writing something new. I'll worry about everything else later. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love that feeling of being productive in writing. It's amazing what you can get done when you don't let yourself get distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it's going well! I'm a sprint writer as it is, so once I sit down I can block out everything else. It's getting myself to sit down that's the problem. Continued good luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete