Wednesday, November 26, 2014

NaNo Near the End

With only five days until NaNoWriMo is over, I've found that I can, indeed, punch out 50k words in thirty days. I'm not there, yet, but I'm so close that if I don't make it, it's basically because I got lazy, or tragedy struck. So there's a 50-50 chance that I have no excuses.

So what else have I learned? I learned that, often enough, it's important to write, even when the words, narration, plot, or characterization are VERY bad. All of that can get edited later. But I also learned that, as much fun as it's been to "pants" my way through this draft (writing by the seat of my pants), I don't particularly care for this method. The work that goes into outlining helps to keep me on track. It makes the story mesh and meld together. And it makes sure that (like we discussed in this week's episode), my characters have agency.

Right now, I'm not sure what my character wants, why she wants it, or what she has to do to get it. Or, for that matter, why I or any reader should CARE.

Again, this is what revision and editing are for, but this is going to be a much more daunting task than previous books have been. Getting all of that information into the next draft may take as long as a "normal" first draft, which means this book could take longer than I typically like to edit.

That being said, I'm still learning with this whole writing thing. We'll see where things go with this book, but if it doesn't go anywhere, it has, at the very least, helped me get my brain working with STORY again. I'm excited to write! So I'm going to go write.

Giles is excited about books and stories. He has so many ideas, he kinda hates the fact that he only has time to work on one project at a time. But at least he's writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment