Friday, November 7, 2014

Challenges and NaNo

This is the first year in ages that I'm not participating in NaNoWriMo. It's kind of a weird feeling, not going onto the NaNo forums to whine about how poorly my manuscript is going, or to steal a dare or two because I'm stuck. It's also really amusing to me that my first year not participating is Giles' first year actually giving it go, but that's another blog post.

Why am I not trying to pound out a 50,000 word manuscript in a month this year? Because I'm already working on a novel (that I don't want to rush through), and I have other things to focus on--like this podcast.

We're heading into our last formal recording session for the year tomorrow! How crazy is that?!

Anyway, I guess the morale of my not-doing-NaNo story is that we've all got different creative paths, and it's great to try new things. Challenge yourself to try NaNo (or not, if you've done it before). Challenge yourself to write something off a prompt you hate. Challenge yourself to improve both your quantity and quality of writing.

My personal challenge is to finish this manuscript I'm working on by the end of the year and help shape Beyond the Trope into something incredible. What challenges are you tackling this week and beyond?


Emily's big challenges are motivation and consistency, but she's working on that! Follow her challenge-tackling on Twitter @EmilykSinger, and don't forget to download the latest Beyond the Trope episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment