Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Where We're Going

These trunk novels we've been discussing on the podcast really have me thinking about how far we've all come in our writing. It's surreal to look back at some of that writing, then we look at what we're producing today, and it's almost like two different people wrote those pages.

All three of us are pursuing a career as writers. One of the biggest keys to success is to keep pushing forward, taking advantage of opportunities that present themselves. The same goes for this podcasting project. We're pursuing opportunities that will make our long-term goals attainable.

For writing, I'm seeking more eyes on my pages. Talking with friends about the struggles of publishing. And even though I didn't get into Pitch Wars, I'm going to keep looking for an opportunity to get a mentor. Where I'm going, I personally think that may be one of the most beneficial method to improve my writing. And the more I can learn how to make my writing better, the more sustainable my career will become.

No, as far as the podcast goes, we're moving from our free hosting service to a podcasting host. There are many reasons behind this, but the biggest one is predictability. Our current host is only free through March. Then the fees will fluctuate drastically based on usage, including how much data is stored and how many people download each month. With an increase in traffic and a constant increase in data storage, the costs will become prohibitive, and one "off" month that gives us a massive rush in downloads could put us so over the top on cost that we'd have to shut down. Which isn't something any of us want to do.

With that said, there are other big events coming up that will move us forward as a group, including conferences next year, upcoming interviews, and (hopefully) an exciting partnership that we'll discuss if/when it becomes a real possibility.

Giles is excited for the future, and he's working hard to make Beyond the Trope a successful long-term project. Stay tuned for more news, and follow him on Twitter to see where his writing is headed.

No comments:

Post a Comment