Friday, October 10, 2014

Nostalgia

First of all, my sincerest apologies for missing my post last week--I'd completely forgotten it was Friday! Lack of sleep does weird things to a brain. Moving on.... 

Have you ever been hit with such intense nostalgia for an old project that it's incredibly tempting to go back and try to rework it, even though you know it's not really fixable? That happened to me this week.

I was plugging away at my new project and all of the sudden, I was hit with this intense fond memory of one of the characters from the novel that took me eight years to write and trunk. I remembered how much I enjoyed writing him, even though most of the feedback I got from various readers was that he wasn't terribly relate-able. I remembered how much fun it was to build the world he lived in, and how wonderful it was to come up with new things to torture him.

In a sense, I lived with this character for eight years and haven't really thought about him in months now. At this point in my writing career, I can't really justify going back to try and massage that story into something readable, but that day or so of nostalgia was so strong!

Isn't it funny how a project can stick with you for ages after you've set it aside? Do you have any projects like that? I'd love to hear about them, so leave a comment!



Emily is well-known for both forgetting which day it is and for holding onto things long after she should have let them go. Follow her stubborn ramblings on Twitter @EmilyKSinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment