Friday, September 26, 2014

Writing Rituals

If you've done any research on how to increase productivity while writing, you've probably heard at least someone talk about creating "writing rituals"--aka, writing at the same time every day, or in the same spot, or having a cup of tea and lighting a candle before you start working. Something that, to you, tells your brain that it's time to sit down and be creative.

I never really made the space for writing rituals before. I just wrote whenever I could, no matter what was going on around me or where I was. Probably part of the reason I have trouble getting things done now and then--there are a lot of distractions out in the real world!

But I moved into a new apartment this past weekend and I actually have the space to set up a dedicated writing area. So I did. I've been settling down on my hand-sewn floor pillow with my Figment stuffed animal beside me (see it up there? *starts singing "One Little Spark"*) and seriously devoting time to writing.

Now, I can't claim that my productivity this past week has been entirely due to sitting in the same spot, but I think it's definitely helped. It's like have a special place where you can shut out the world and just focus on creating the things that make you happy. And I'm loving it!

Do you have any writing rituals or special places where you create? We'd love to hear about them (or see pictures)!



Emily is much more a creature of habit than she'd like to admit. She's also a Disney freak and working on becoming an uber-nerd. Follow her exploits here every Friday or on Twitter @EmilyKSinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment