Tuesday, September 16, 2014

What You Should Read

As a writer and a reader, I get this question a lot:

"What should I read?"

I almost never know how to answer. Reading is so subjective, and one book that I love might bore you to death. Case in point: Frankenstein. I LOVE Frankenstein. I think it is one of the most brilliant books in the entire history of books. It's the result of a "challenge accepted" sort of writing battle (which, personally, I think Mary Shelley totally won).

But I digress. What should you read? You should read something that makes you excited to read. You should read things that make you excited to live and breath and eat yummy food. And if you finish a book and don't feel that way, find another one.

The problem with asking me what you should read comes in two parts. First of all, is that I don't usually know the asker very well. Second, I have this quirky desire to make sure that EVERYONE EVERYWHERE loves books. So when someone asks me what to read, I first want to tell them to read every single one of my favorite books and authors.

And the problem with that is that very few people adore the same weird things that I do. But you can't overcompensate by giving them a list full of too many classics, because those can be pretty heavy and tough to get through.

So what should you read? It depends on your mood.


  • Need laughter, satire, and dry humor? Grab Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett. 
  • Love dystopias but hate whiny girls? Pick up We by Yevgeny Zamyatin.
  • Feeling like messing with some fantasy tropes? I loved Dealing with Dragons by Patricia C. Wrede. 
  • Yearning for a dark fantasy about the undead? Find Sabriel by Garth Nix
    (the audiobook's read by Tim Curry!)
  • Love video games and books that just get better? Choose Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. 


What kinds of books do you tell people they need to read?




Please forgive Michelle for posting an entire day late...she may have fallen asleep right after she got home from work/tutoring last night. And, as you may know, writing is impossible while unconscious.

No comments:

Post a Comment