Friday, September 19, 2014

Practice Makes 'Perfect'

This week's episode kicks off our three-week look at some of our trunk novels from the three of us co-hosts. Lucky (or not) for me, I got to go first. If you've listened to this week's episode already, you know the general gist of how it went. If you haven't, here's a spoiler: that story is bad.

I'm not going to go into details of how bad here, because we did that in the episode, but I am going to take a moment to talk about how much practice and study can really improve a craft.

In almost a decade of writing and practicing the craft, I went from long, rambling sentences that make no sense, to creating a publishable short story (this sentence is obviously exempt from the 'getting over long, rambling sentences' thing).

I don't say this to brag--I hope it's an encouraging statement. No matter where you start or how bad your work is right now, there's always hope. You just have to put the effort in to learn and practice and grow.

They say the best way to learn the craft of writing is to read, and practice writing. Read widely, both in your genre and outside of it, and study what other authors are doing. Challenge your own writing with prompts and unusual thinking. And don't give up.

That's the most important thing, I think--don't give up. If I'd have stopped writing when I finished that trunk novel, I wouldn't have gotten anywhere. Even though there's no such thing as 'perfect' when it comes to the arts, practice definitely improves your skill and the work you produce.

So listen to my trunk novel on this week's episode, then grab a copy of the Crossing Colfax anthology (ebook version coming soon), and read my short story "Colfax Kitsune" to see what a difference time, practice, and great feedback can make.

And, if you're interested, send us the first few pages of your trunk novel to talk about on the air! Remember: we're laughing with you!



Emily's glad she's made progress since her early years of writing--otherwise we'd have a problem with timelines and wibbly-wobbly things. She's currently working on about a million projects at the same time, including figuring out how to actually turn into a butt-kicking cyborg hobbit. Find more of her rambles on Twitter @EmilyKSinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment