Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Losing the Plot

This week's episode is about (among other things) Book Planning. A couple of months ago, I tried to write a book without using an outline. I just started thinking about a character and wrote what came to mind, following that character through life until...I got bored. Too many easy resolutions to plot problems.

I gave up on that project (though the concept will probably get revived some day), and now I'm working on something new. I got about 10k in, following an internalization of general direction for a potential plot, then hit a wall. I didn't know where to go. What needed to happen next. Or what my character's motivation was. I lost the plot. Literally.

So now, after a great experiment that got me SUPER excited about writing again, I'm back to outlining. I'm not going to do the over-the-top outline I did for my last book. Instead, I'm going to stick with a paragraph for each section (splitting it into 5 acts, as usual), and then I'll get back into the book.

When planning a book, it's important to find out what works for you, and what doesn't work needs to be thrown out. If outlining in-depth works, stick with it. If it doesn't move to a different method. It'll keep you from losing the plot. Probably.

It did for me.

Giles doesn't always lose the plot, but getting back into it is typically a challenge. Stay tuned to see how he recovers.

And follow him on Twitter at GilesHash, and follow Beyond the Trope at BeyondTheTrope

No comments:

Post a Comment