Friday, July 4, 2014

Writing Soundtracks

Happy Fourth of July from all of us here at Beyond the Trope!

There are few things as American on Independence Day as BBQs and fireworks, but patriotic music is definitely one of them. But what do you do when you've listened to as many renditions of "America the Beautiful" as you can?

Given that I'm attempting to write today, I intend to turn on my writing playlist. I like to listen to movie soundtracks while I write, because it helps me tune out the rest of the world, and, apparently, listening to music might even make you more creative.

Why movie soundtracks? Because they don't tend to have words (which means less distraction/less urge to sing along), and they generally have a wide range of emotional responses, which can be great fodder for writing scenes with different moods. Plus, I like imagining the scenes that go with the song in the movie, especially when I'm stuck.

What do you listen to when you get creative?



Emily apologizes for this tiny, lame post, but it's a holiday and she's behind on her Camp NaNoWriMo project! She hopes you can forgive her.

No comments:

Post a Comment