Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Remember!

Pride is a terrible thing. In my years in the performing arts industry, I've met many, many people who treat me like dirt just because they have some form of talent that earns them money. It's something I never want to develop. I mean, let's face it, just because I happen to write a book (even if it gets published and becomes a bestseller), it doesn't make me more valuable than anyone else. And even if it DID, that doesn't give me the right to step on people.

Steven L. Sears, who we interviewed for this week's podcast, treated us all the same way I WANT to treat other people. He was friendly, ready to laugh, extremely humble especially when talking about his success, and just an all-around good guy.

This is a short post because that's all that really needs to be said. If I get famous (which isn't my goal, by the way), always remind me not to be a jerk. I may not bend over backwards for you, but it will never be because I think I'm better than anyone else. And if you ever become famous, remember where you came from. No matter what, you started somewhere. And like most of us, it was probably close to the bottom. Be proud of your accomplishment, but remember all of the people who helped you along the way. People who had a better position than you at that time. People who didn't lord it over you.

Giles tends to downplay any personal success in his life, even when praise may be earned. Don't let him do that. And don't let him get a big head, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment