Friday, July 18, 2014

Exciting Writing

As I said in a previous blog post, I'm participating in Camp NaNoWriMo. My original plan was to work on a series of short stories that tied in with the urban fantasy novel sitting on my hard drive. So far, I've finished one of those and spent an awful lot of time staring at the rest and wondering why I was so unmotivated.

The short answer (which I eventually realized) was that this project wasn't what I wanted to be working on. I do want to write the stories of these Trickster gods at some point, but right now, I'm not enjoying them. It feels like slogging through knee-deep snow toward some undisclosed destination, unsure if I'm ever even going to get warm again.

I'm not even going to comment on the irony of using that metaphor when it's supposed to get up to 90 degrees today.

Seasonally inappropriate metaphor aside, I think my realization has a lesson attached. Giles has dealt with the pain of trying to work on a not-fun writing project recently, and we've had several conversations about it, that all, basically, boil down to: life's too short to write something that isn't entertaining you.

Would you rather force your way through a piece that isn't working and is agonizing to write, or put that aside and find something that's entertaining to write and keeps you interested? As Aaron Michael Ritchey calls it, "the book of your soul."

For me? I'd rather put my time and energy into writing something that excites me, even if this particular project might never see the light of day.



The projects that tend to excite Emily are a little edgy and a lot messy--but she'd rather sort through the story clutter than write something boring. In addition to writing entertaining things, she's also trying to get better about personal blogging at emilykaysinger.com and tweeting as @emilyksinger.

No comments:

Post a Comment