Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Changing Future

Last Saturday, I wrote the final blog post for my personal blog. After ten years of waffling on the medium, I decided that the exercise was no longer doing what I needed it to do. Sure, the intent behind the blog evolved over the years, but my focus has shifted completely to this project (Beyond the Trope, both blog and podcast).

I made this change because the path I was on went nowhere. I needed to change my focus and change a future that looked non-existent. And by that, I mean doing what I was doing would make me another dim voice crying out on the internet for attention. That's not what I want. I don't want to cry out for attention, and I don't want to repeat what other people are saying just for the sake of saying SOMETHING.

Beyond the Trope, on the other hand, gives me the opportunity AND the drive to build relationships and learn about the industry in which I hope to work.

Just as importantly, by filling my time with Beyond the Trope, despite being busier than ever, I'm also MUCH more productive than I've been in years. Those facts all combine to mean that my future is changing. I don't know what the path looks like or what my FUTURE looks like, but it's definitively different, by necessity, than I pictured it years ago.

Emily is also changing her future by participating in Camp NaNo this year, so I'm not alone. For that matter, Michelle STARTED this trend by putting together her serial on her personal blog, which means that Beyond the Trope is ALL ABOUT changing our futures.

Huh, didn't see that coming.

What about you? What are you doing to change your path?

Giles isn't really a wizard, nor is he ACTUALLY going into the future and setting out to change it. He's simply taking responsibility for himself, making INTENTIONAL choices that are intended to improve his chances of success, and keeping himself open to the idea of failure. Follow him on Twitter if you want to see his thoughts on writing, craft beer, and the future of Beyond the Trope.

No comments:

Post a Comment