Monday, June 2, 2014

Pride & Prejudice

Turning a book into a movie (or a TV series, or a collection of plush dolls…) might seem like the simplest thing in the world, but it really isn’t. Just ask the book fans if the director and actors did a good job turning their beloved story into a motion picture.

I have a very good friend who loves to rant about the differences in the Lord of the Rings books vs. the movies. Other people I know critique Game of Thrones, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, and The Notebook. So many books have jumped to the big screen that I’ve completely lost count. Sometimes I wonder if Hollywood has run out of ideas or if they just know where the money is. Maybe it’s both? One thing is obvious: the world adores adaptations. 

Of all the adaptations I love the most, Pride and Prejudice is at the top of my list. Yes, I am that girl. There are few things I turn into a giggly fangirl for, but by golly, Collin Firth in Regency getup is one of them. No summer feels like summer until I have A. Purchased a green tea frappuccino from Starbucks and sipped on it at a park and B. Watched all of BBC’s Pride and Prejudice in one glorious sitting.

Why do I love this P&P so much? It’s accurate. It’s charming. The acting is wonderful, and the setting is quaint. It makes me want to be Elizabeth Bennet even more than I generally do (some friends would say I already am, but I think it’s still up for debate). And, honestly, I think Jane Austen’s work translates so well to the screen that you could almost create a word-for-word screenplay from her novels and it would be glorious and awe-inspiring. In short, it just works.

Yes, I also love the “Kiera Knightley version”. I might even venture to say that in that 2005 film, they were a tad better at showing what daily life in Regency England probably looked like. And how could you not love Caroline Bingley’s (aka Kelly Reilly's) costumes? But the BBC’s take on the classic story will always have a very precious place in my heart.

Watching BBC’s Pride and Prejudice isn’t just watching a movie. It’s an experience. If you haven’t seen it yet, something amazing is missing from your life.


What are your favorite, unmissable adaptations?



Michelle is a closet romantic (shhh, don’t tell) who also loves watching The Holiday and Kate and Leopold, and she’s currently binge-watching Once Upon a Time. She is a complete dork and is super excited about three things: her new Wonder Woman tank top, Denver Comic Con, and the RMFW Colorado Gold contest, which she just submitted her manuscript to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment