Monday, June 16, 2014

Exhausted: A Look Back at Denver Comic Con 2014

If concrete floors could write, the ones in the Denver Convention Center could craft a boxed set of novels, each of which could rival the length of À la recherche du temps perdu. This past weekend, the Convention Center packed itself to the brim with comic lovers of all ages.  

My podcast partners and I were given the amazing opportunity to have a table at this event. It was my first comic con ever. While I still don’t understand the people who wore mascot-style animal suits or the girls who showed up in body paint and some sort of miniscule cousin to a pair of underwear, I totally get the thrill of going to a con.

For those people who have never been, here’s how I explained it to my best friend (a jazz addict who fangirls over calving season and rodeos):

A comic con is a giant party where people who love comics, movies, books, TV, and anything deemed “geeky” or “nerdy” by the “normals” can hang out, learn more about what they love, and celebrate the power of creativity.

Some only see the costumes – intricate works of art that must take months or years to complete. Others have blinders on for the merchandise or the celebrities. I, on the other hand, tried to take everything in. I wanted to appreciate every element of awesomeness I could.

Long story short: I had so much fun I would do another con in a heartbeat. LeVar Burton gave me a hug. Frank Beddor remembered my name. Ellie Ann promised to make me a friendship necklace out of her leg hair (TMI?). I could go on for hours about all the wonderful people I met and spoke to. Most of all, going to DCC gave me hope for a world where everyone – from “nerds” to “geeks” to “normals” – celebrates talent of all shapes and sizes.

So why did I love Denver Comic Con 2014?
  • Little kids dressed as daleks. And Thor. And Mystique. And Spider-Man.
  • Making new friends / Artist, writer, producer (etc.) interviews
  • Janet Lee’s decoupage graphic novels
  • Dressing up as a different hipster princess each day
  • People watching (ermahgerd people watching!)
  • The art
  • All the things

Check out our website this week for exclusive Beyond the Trope interviews and DCC panel recordings.  


If you were there, what did you think? I want to know!



The only thing Michelle regrets about DCC is taking too few pictures. Today she is super stoked to get back into blogging, painting sunglasses, and crushing her day job as an undistressed damsel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment