Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Denver Comic Con Wrap-up

When I sent in my application for Denver Comic Con's Podcast Peak, I genuinely expected to get rejected. At the time, we had two (maybe three?) episodes up on our feed. Who were we? Nobody. But they said yes.

I don't know if it was a huge boom for us as far gain listeners, but overall, I'd say the weekend was a success. We got to meet and interview some awesome people. They told us about their craft, laughed with us, and shared great information that I don't get to hear very often.

We got to have fun. We got to introduce amazing people. We had a once-in-a-lifetime experience that could morph into a second career, if we continue to pursue it the right way.

So what did we do?

Michelle introduced LeVar Burton at his Reading Rainbow event. And we got to record it.

I introduced Max Brooks when he came up to talk about his new projects Harlem Hellfighters and Extinction Parade. And we got to record it.

I moderated an event with Sherry Ficklin and Tyler Jolley, where I learned about an AWESOME steampunk novel called Extracted. Again, we got to record it!

Emily moderated the Strong Women in Fiction panel, and right after that, Michelle moderated the Setting in Sci-Fi and Fantasy panel. Both of which will be up on our feed by the end of the week.

And, again, interviews. Amazing interviews. With people who I respect, admire, and who I hope to meet with in the near future.

I can't describe how excited I am about last weekend. It's beyond me! I never thought I would have the opportunity to do something like this, even if I topped the bestsellers list for months on end. I never planned on being involved with such a great event. Where it goes from here, I don't know. But does that matter?

It was fantastic. I hope we get to do it again next year. And stay tuned, because someone approached us about doing some other awesome things in the near future.

Even though he didn't cosplay at Comic Con, Giles is still a big geek. He loves all things geeky, and Comic Con fed that craving rather well. He blogs sometimes over at High Aspirations, writes novels on a couch much like Sheldon Cooper's, and listens to weird music that belongs in a comic book store. Not a warehouse.

He wants to give special thanks to Denver Comic Con and Comic Book Classroom for providing such an awesome opportunity for Beyond the Trope. It was a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment