Friday, June 27, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo

I bet you're expecting yet another Denver Comic Con freakout post. Well, you'd be wrong!

Today, I'm going to talk about Camp NaNoWriMo, because I made the decision to participate today (hahaha I'm going to die).

For those of you who don't know, National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) is an annual challenge to writers--write a 50,000 word novel in the month of November. It's designed to help folks get over the fear of making things perfect and just get words on the page. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, but the point is in trying and seeing what you can come up with. (There are also a lot of criticisms about the challenge among some circles, but we'll leave that for later).

Camp NaNoWriMo is, basically, the same general idea, but during the summer months (there's a session in April and one in July), and not limited to writing novels. Organizers encourage participants to work on whatever project they want--a script, short stories, revisions, whatever.

Because I'm not the most sane person in the world, I've decided to try and take part in the upcoming July session of Camp NaNoWriMo with a series of short stories. I chose shorts because I had success with Colfax Kitsune (remember that one that's getting published?), I need a break from the novel I'm working on, and I need more short story practice anyway.  Camp NaNoWriMo is just going to be my kick in the butt to get going.

How do you find inspiration and keep yourself moving on your own creative projects?



As a pantser who doesn't like much planning anyway, Emily loves the challenge of events like NaNoWriMo, even when she doesn't get anywhere near her word count goals. She doesn't love the editing that comes afterward, but that's a different story entirely.

Find her at emilykaysinger.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment