Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Hamlet

I love Hamlet. It's one of my favorite stories. Of all time. If you listened to Episode 3 already, it's obvious why. If you haven't, you should. Until then, know that Hamlet was the first Shakespeare play I ever read.

I never read Shakespeare in high school. Or junior high. My first experience was in college. Since I chose to go to school, and I chose the classes I wanted to take, I knew what I was in for. I expected Shakespeare to be difficult to grasp, but something I could warm up to and enjoy.

Because of my youth spent reading books way above my grade level, I found Hamlet to be quite accessible. And exciting. And inspiring!

Now, I read Shakespeare less than I should, but when I do, it makes my brain move in ways that it's not used to. And that gets me amped up to write. Not just my own, formulaic stories, but clever, witty, mind-bending stories that reinvent the oldest stories in a completely new way.

But Shakespeare is more than inspiring, it's transcendental. Each play reminds me of several other stories, takes me to far-off lands, and teaches me something about myself and the people I interact with every day. Every play the Bard wrote is a window into multiple universes. And I think it's why I can't stop geeking out about him.

My favorite tragedy is Hamlet, and my favorite comedy is Taming of the Shrew. What are yours? And why?

At some point I considered writing this bio in iambic pentameter. Then I remembered that I'm not nearly as talented as that. I might be able to put something together in the course of a week or two. But let's face it, you're better off reading Shakespeare for that experience.

To see more of my random thoughts, check out High Aspirations or follow me on twitter @gileshash

No comments:

Post a Comment