Monday, February 10, 2014

A Word

A word to the wise, the creative, and the easily convinced:

Be careful what you let your friends suggest to you.

Why?

Because a few weeks later you will find yourself feverishly constructing a website, a logo, and a new blog.  You will have so many tasks that you’ll feel like you are trying to stand still in the deep end of a water park wave pool. There will be so many things to say and create and decide at certain times and with certain people that every once in a while you will realize that you’ve only been half-planning, not fully planning, and now you have to double the work so you can reach your goals.

In short, it will be the most fun you have ever had the chance to randomly decide to have.

Friends are really great for this sort of thing.  When one of you mentions a lifelong dream and you all decide to make it happen, it’s like discovering the door to Neverland.  I love creating things (especially things with words), and starting a podcast with friends is like meeting Peter Pan and learning to fly.

How stoked am I about this brand-new podcast?  Well, let’s just say that I’m looking forward to talking about art in mass-market writing just as much as I love spicy jambalaya.  And I really, really love spicy jambalaya.  Besides, “work” is really just a matter of perspective.  My co-conspirators Giles and Emily are hilarious, intelligent, genuine folks who, I believe, have already made this project worth the effort.

Just don’t tell them, all right? I don’t want to damage my street cred, if you know what I mean.  I have a reputation to uphold.


Our first episode will be up and running before the end of the month, and you should listen to it. And then you should listen to every episode after that, too.  Words, nerds, geeks, and art.  How do you beat that?

1 comment: